Preview

image preview

Caption

The Baptistry. Since A.D. 597, when St. Augustine landed in Kent, the site on which Canterbury Cathedral stands has been occupied by a Christian Church. The present edifice dates from 1070, when the old Saxon church was rebuilt by Bishop Lanfranc. The Baptistry, or "Bell Jesus" is an old peice of work off the north-east transept, and leading from the Presbytery to the old monastery buildings.

Physical Description

One color postcard with a divided back. The postcard was published by Raphael Tuck & Sons in London, England and printed in England.

Condition

Unused

Language of Postcard

English

Location

United Kingdom—England—Kent County—Canterbury—Canterbury Cathedral

Publisher

Raphael Tuck & Sons

Publisher Series

7021

Date Issued

1866-1960s

Object Type

Postcard

Object Size

14 X 09 cm

Original Collection

San Diego College for Women Postcard Collection

Digital Collection

British Postcard Collection

Digital Publisher

Copley Library. Univeristy of San Diego

Collection Number

Kent-33

Date Digitized

2013-10-24

Image Format

Image/JPEG

Repository

Special Collections. Copley Library, University of San Diego

Image File Location

O:\Archives\SDCW Postcard Collection\UnitedKingdom\Kent-33A

Image File Size

367 KB

Copyright

Copyright not Evaluated

Keywords

Canterbury (England), Canterbury Cathedral, Anglican churches, Baptisteries

Share

Image Location

 
COinS