Preview

image preview

Caption

The Baptistry. Since A.D. 597, when St. Augustine landed in Kent, the site on which Canterbury Cathedral stands has been occupied by a Christian Church. The present edifice dates from 1070, when the old Saxon church was rebuilt by Bishop Lanfranc. The Baptistry, or "Bell Jesus" is an old peice of work off the north-east transept, and leading from the Presbytery to the old monastery buildings.

Image File Location

O:\Archives\SDCW Postcard Collection\UnitedKingdom\Kent-33B

Image File Size

154 KB

Copyright

Copyright not Evaluated

Keywords

Canterbury (England), Canterbury Cathedral, Anglican churches, Baptisteries

Share

Image Location

 
COinS