Preview

image preview

Caption

Infirmary Ruins. Since A.D. 597, when St. Augustine landed in Kent, the site on which Centerbury Cathedral stands has been occuplied by a Christian church. The present edifice dates from 1070, when the old Saxon church was rebuilt by Bishop Lanfranc. Portions of the old monastic buildings are still in existence; for instance, the row of pillars marking the site of the Infirmary, with the more complete Infirmary Chapel (1135-6).

Physical Description

One color postcard with a divided back. The postcard was published by Raphael Tuck & Sons in London, England and printed in England.

Condition

Unused

Language of Postcard

English

Location

United Kingdom—England—Kent County—Canterbury—Canterbury Cathedral

Publisher

Raphael Tuck & Sons

Publisher Series

7021

Date Issued

1866-1960s

Object Type

Postcard

Object Size

14 X 09 cm

Original Collection

San Diego College for Women Postcard Collection

Digital Collection

British Postcard Collection

Digital Publisher

Copley Library. Univeristy of San Diego

Collection Number

Kent-34

Date Digitized

2013-10-24

Image Format

Image/JPEG

Repository

Special Collections. Copley Library, University of San Diego

Image File Location

O:\Archives\SDCW Postcard Collection\UnitedKingdom\Kent-34A

Image File Size

300 KB

Copyright

Copyright not Evaluated

Keywords

Canterbury (England), Canterbury Cathedral, Anglican churches, Historic sites, Ruins

Share

Image Location

 
COinS