Preview

image preview

Caption

Infirmary Ruins. Since A.D. 597, when St. Augustine landed in Kent, the site on which Centerbury Cathedral stands has been occuplied by a Christian church. The present edifice dates from 1070, when the old Saxon church was rebuilt by Bishop Lanfranc. Portions of the old monastic buildings are still in existence; for instance, the row of pillars marking the site of the Infirmary, with the more complete Infirmary Chapel (1135-6).

Image File Location

O:\Archives\SDCW Postcard Collection\UnitedKingdom\Kent-34B

Image File Size

142 KB

Copyright

Copyright not Evaluated

Keywords

Canterbury (England), Canterbury Cathedral, Anglican churches, Historic sites, Ruins

Share

Image Location

 
COinS