Preview

image preview

Caption

San Diego de Alcala San Diego de Alcala, founded July 16, 1769 as a brush-wood structure near San Diego Bay, by Fr. Junipero Serra, President of the California Missions. In August 1774, the Mission was moved six miles up the San Diego river. About a year later 1,000 Indians attacked and burned this structure and killed Fr. Jayme. In 1776 the present Mission was erected on the site of the burned one.

Physical Description

One color postcard with a divided back. The postcard was published by Pacific Novelty Company in San Francisco, California.

Condition

Used

Postmark Date

1921-03-23

Sender

Unknown [Los Angeles, California]

Recipient

Miss May Clarke [St. Joseph, Missouri]

Excerpt from Message

3/23/21 Greetings from Los Angeles Ed.

Language of Message

English

Language of Postcard

English

Location

United States–California-San Diego County-San Diego

Publisher

Pacific Novelty Company

Date Issued

1908-1960s

Object Type

Postcard

Object Size

14 X 09 cm

Original Collection

San Diego College for Women Postcard Collection

Digital Collection

American Postcard Collection

Digital Publisher

Copley Library. University of San Diego

Collection Number

Southern California-91

Date Digitized

2014-04-23

Image Format

Image/JPEG

Repository

Special Collections. Copley Library, University of San Diego

Image File Location

P:Archives\SDCW Postcard Collection\North America\Southern California-91A

Image File Size

998 KB

Copyright

Copyright not Evaluated

Keywords

San Diego (Calif.), San Diego Mission, Mission churches

Share

Image Location

 
COinS