Preview

image preview

Caption

San Diego de Alcala San Diego de Alcala, founded July 16, 1769 as a brush-wood structure near San Diego Bay, by Fr. Junipero Serra, President of the California Missions. In August 1774, the Mission was moved six miles up the San Diego river. About a year later 1,000 Indians attacked and burned this structure and killed Fr. Jayme. In 1776 the present Mission was erected on the site of the burned one.

Sender

Unknown [Los Angeles, California]

Recipient

Miss May Clarke [St. Joseph, Missouri]

Excerpt from Message

3/23/21 Greetings from Los Angeles Ed.

Language of Message

English

Image File Location

P:Archives\SDCW Postcard Collection\North America\Southern California-91B

Image File Size

1,393 KB

Copyright

Copyright not Evaluated

Keywords

San Diego (Calif.), San Diego Mission, Mission churches

Share

Image Location

 
COinS