ZLAC Rowing Club, 1892-2007
The article focuses on the history of the ZLAC Rowing Club established in 1892 in San Diego, California. Lena Polhamus Crouse founded the club in 1892 and persuaded her sisters and their friends to create a rowing club. Women's collegiate rowing started with the formation of the Rowing Club of State Normal School of San Diego, California in 1898. The club opened its clubhouse to injured servicemen during the World War II. In 2007, the club commemorates the seventy-fifth anniversary of its clubhouse in Mission Bay. The new clubhouse designed by architect Lilian J. Rice provides a visual reminder that the oldest women's rowing club in the U.S. functions to preserve its past and to encourage future interest in the sport.
Digital USD Citation
McClain, Molly, "ZLAC Rowing Club, 1892-2007" (2007). History: Faculty Scholarship. 14.