Preview

image preview

Caption

Founded by Fra Junipero Serra July 16, 1769, this was the first of the chain of 21 Franciscan missions built in California. The Mission suffered a number of attacks by Indians and was practically destroyed in 1775. It was rebuilt and continued in active service until Mexican secularization in 1829. The Mission was restored in 1930.

Physical Description

Linen postcard with divided back published by Hopkins News Agency, San Diego, California and printed in the United States by E. C. Kropp, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Condition

Unused

Language of Postcard

English

Location

United States–California–San Diego County–San Diego

Publisher

Hopkins News Agency

Printer

E. C. Kropp Company

Printer Number

32589

Printing Process

Color lithograph

Technique

Artist rendering

Date Issued

1930-1955

Object Type

Postcard

Object Size

14 X 09 cm

Original Collection

San Diego College for Women Postcard Collection

Publisher Series

13

Postcard Collection Number

SanDiegoCounty-07

Digital Collection

San Diego College for Women Linen Postcard Collection

Digital Publisher

Copley Library, University of San Diego

Date Digitized

2013

Image File Size

363 KB

Image Format

image/jpeg

Repository

Special Collections. Copley Library, University of San Diego

Image File Location

Archives\SDCW Postcard Collection\SD-07A

Copyright

Copyright not Evaluated

Keywords

San Diego Mission, Historic Sites, Mission Churches, Junipero Serra, 1713-1784

Share

Image Location

 
COinS