Preview

image preview

Caption

The Martyrdom. Since. A.D. 597, when St. Augustine landed in Kent, the site on which Canterbury Cathedral stands has been occupied by a Christian church. The existing adifice date from 1070, when the old Saxon church was rebuilt by Bishop Lanfranc, the Martyrdom, or north-west transept, was built by Prior Chillenden about 1400. It is revered as the place where Thomasa Becket met with his death at the hands of Henry II's agents in teh year 1170.

Image File Location

O:\Archives\SDCW Postcard Collection\UnitedKingdom\Kent-32B

Image File Size

152 KB

Copyright

Copyright not Evaluated

Keywords

Canterbury (England), Canterbury Cathedral, Anglican churches, Interiors, Historic sites, Becket, Thomas à, approximately 1817-approximately 1871

Share

Image Location

 
COinS