Preview

image preview

Sender

Marguerite Dooley [New Orleans, Louisiana, United States]

Recipient

Mrs. Martha Clark [St. Joseph, Missouri, United States]

Postmark

1949-11-14

Caption

The Cabildo, Old Spanish Court Building, New Orleans, Louisiana. In the foreground an Old Spanish Court Building, erected in 1795 by Don Almonester y Roxas, who gave it to the City. The Cabildo was the form of government of New Orleans, which succeeded the French rule of the Superior Council of 1718, from 1767 and lasted until 1803. The transfer of Louisiana from Spain to France and from France to the United States took place here in 1803. The Marquis de Lafayette lived here as a guest of the City of New Orleans in 1825 and it now houses the Louisiana Historical Museum, with its interesting and valuable exhibits and library.

Language of Message

English

Language of Postcard

English

Image File Size

251 KB

Image File Location

Cop-Darc\Postcards\Linen Postcards\Louisiana\LA-04B

Copyright

This postcard may be protected by copyright law. It is being made available for non-commercial, personal, educational, and research use only. It is the responsibility of the user to locate and obtain permission from the copyright owner(s) or heirs for any other use.

Keywords

Cabildo (New Orleans, Louisiana), New Orleans (Louisiana), Historic Sites, Court Houses

Share

Image Location

 
COinS