Preview

image preview

Caption

The Nave – Canterbury Cathedral. The Nave. Since A.D. 597, when St. Augustine landed in Kent, the site on which Canterbury Cathedral stands has been occupied by a Christian church. The existing edifice dates from 1070, when the old Saxon church was rebuilt by Bishop Lanfranc. The present Nave was begun in 1378. The present Nave was begun in 1378. The measurements are, 214 feet long, 71 feet broad, and 101 feet high.

Physical Description

One color postcard with a divided back. The postcard was published by Raphael Tuck and Sons in London, England. The postcard features artwork by Charles F. Flower.

Condition

Unused

Language of Postcard

English, French

Location

United Kingdom–England–Kent County–Canterbury

Publisher

Raphael Tuck & Sons

Publisher Series

7021

Artist

Charles F. Flower

Printing Process

Oilette

Date Issued

1866-1960s

Object Type

Postcard

Object Size

14 X 09 cm

Original Collection

San Diego College for Women Postcard Collection

Digital Collection

British Postcard Collection

Digital Publisher

Copley Library. Univeristy of San Diego

Collection Number

Kent-31

Date Digitized

2013-10-24

Image Format

Image/JPEG

Repository

Special Collections. Copley Library, University of San Diego

Image File Location

O:\Archives\SDCW Postcard Collection\UnitedKingdom\Kent-31A

Image File Size

386 KB

Copyright

This postcard may be protected by copyright law. It is being made available for non-commercial, personal, educational, and research use only. It is the responsibility of the user to locate and obtain permission from the copyright owner(s) or heirs for any other use.

Keywords

Canterbury (England), Canterbury Cathedral, Anglican churches, Interiors, Naves

Share

Image Location

 
COinS